The site of the present village was purchased by the CNR in 1911 about the time the railway line was constructed. Many business buildings and homes were built by 1911. At the time of incorporation as a village in April of 1912, there were over 100 persons residing in the village.
The name Briercrest was given to the first post office that was located on the farm of Captain Charles Jaques in 1902. Mrs. Jaques had chosen the name after the wild roses growing on a ridge nearby and agreed to the use of the name for the village.
Today, almost 100 years later the village remains part of an active community with businesses and community organizations serving the area. About 125 residents currently live in the village.
The village is located about 45 km southeast of Moose Jaw and about 80 km southwest of Regina, Saskatchewan. It is serviced by Highway #339 and a short-line railroad operated by Southern Rails Co-operative.
Brier Rose Cultural Centre
Dedicated to Edna Jaques
Edna Jaques was born to a Great Lakes captain in Collingwood, Ontario, on January 17th 1891. At the age of eleven she moved with her family to Saskatchewan to homestead. The family farm became the nucleus of the community of Briercrest. Her mother ran the first post office from their farm and, inspired by the crest of the hills covered in brier roses, named the post office Briercrest.
Edna's poetic bent was evident as soon as she learned to write and she was constantly jotting down rhymes on scraps of paper. Her first published work appeared in the Moose Jaw Times when she was thirteen years of age. A year later, she sent a selection of her poems to evangelist Billy Sunday who set them to music and sang them at revival meetings. In her early twenties in Calgary, she wrote the war poem that was to bring her widespread recognition. Later, printed on a card along with the Belgian National Anthem, the poem was sold throughout the United States at 10¢ a copy and raised one million dollars for war relief. It was later read at the unveiling of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington, D.C.
Edna's first lecturing engagement occurred in 1929 when the president of the Canadian Club in Moose Jaw asked her to make an after dinner speech. She subsequently found herself in such demand as a public speaker that she travelled extensively across Canada.
She wrote some 3,000 poems and published several poetry collections during her lifetime.
The Peachey House
The "Peachey House" at 305 Railway Ave, Briercrest, built by Alex Boan on his farm, was later purchased by Bruce Jaques (brother of Edna) and moved to his farm. Eventually, it was moved to its present location beside the home of Captain and "Maw" Jaques (parents of Edna) by Alex Boan for his family dwelling. The last resident in the home was Emma Peachey who moved there in 1969.
In the early 1930's, Edna Jaques was living with her parents and used to regularly drop in to visit Alex and Dorothy Boan in this house.
Because it is so closely associated with Edna Jaques it is only fitting that it should honour her.
The "Peachey House" was designated as a heritage property on November 5th 2008 by the Village of Briercrest. The Brier Rose Cultural Centre was incorporated on December 22nd 2008 and the Board of Directors formed. Current Board members are Jacqueline Coulter (nee Jaques), Kevin Jaques, Jack Boan, Judy Windrem and Sergio Villani.
The first objective listed in the incorporating documents reads as follows: "to provide a forum for the community of people interested in prairie literature and the history of Briercrest, especially as they pertain to Edna Jaques and the Jaques family".
- Yard cleaned up and exterior painted the summer of 2008
- Shingled roof and constructed new sub floor spring of 2009
- Small shed at rear of property painted and shingled spring of 2009
Further construction will continue as funds are made available through donations. Memberships, fundraisers and possible grants.
The corporation will be applying for a Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation grant. One of the criteria for support from the foundation is an indication of support by a "community of people" interested in preserving the cultural aspect of Briercrest's history.
We would like to invite you to be one of those people by becoming a Member (Saskatchewan Residents) or an Associate Member.
Each member will receive the following:
- A copy of the incorporation documents and bylaws.
- Perodic Newsletters
- Participate in the Annual General Meeting
- And more
We would also like to thank all those who have volunteered to paint, garden or sew, donated dollars and donated Edna Jaques memorabilia,and encourage members and supporters alike to continue to do so.
Fees are set at $50 made payable to:
The Brier Rose Cultural Centre,
Drop around if you are in the vicinity and see for yourself what a wonderful Heritage Site is being created. We hope you will be impressed and excited by what you see and you will get on board by becoming a member.
If you have any questions call Jacqueline at 1-306-799–4414
Briercrest Bible College
Briercrest and the surrounding area was originally populated by a blend of farmers, educators, businesspeople, and the occasional politician. People from the East, West, and the US all moved to this area of lush farmland, bringing with them a strong religious bent. In response to this, The Bible School opened its doors on October 19th 1935 with an enrollment of 11 students.
We rented the Nichol's House and growth was immediate requiring additional space. The Jamieson Building was rented the next year. In 1938, the Yale Hotel was obtained from the Village in lieu of building a town hall. The following years the Gilroy and Walker houses were purchased. We also purchased a large home and moved it into the village west of the Walker house. All this to make room for a growing student body that numbered 110 by 1940.
After the war in 1946, we purchased the Caron Airport to become the home of the Briercrest Bible College. At Caronport, we also opened a residential High School and a Grade School for children of the Faculty and married students. Interest in the schools continued to grow so that by 1985 there were 793 students enrolled in the college, another 300 in the High School and 150 in the Grade School.
Today, Briercrest Bible College has over 10,000 alumni throughout the world. A mountain in Jamaica is named Briercrest in honour of the school where the missionaries studied – Briercrest Bible College in Canada!
The Briercrest & District Museum
P.O. Box 216,
Located on the village's Main Street, the former Briercrest Community Centre and Theatre was built in 1938 and became a museum in 1987.
It houses many of the district's antiques and memorabilia, all donated by local families. An addition was built in 1999.
Open by appointment by calling: